Best songs of 1950s, greatest hits of rock and roll music
Welcome to one of the most popular Baby Boomer sites on the web.
Everyone born between 1946 and 1964 is a Boomer just like us. We still have an open future ahead of us, so choose to enjoy the good things in life!
Welcome to our world.
Ray Charles - Birth of Soul album
rock and roll best songs, greatest music hits
Share a smile with a friend. Tell them about this site or mention it on your blog. Links are good too--and we will post yours. A smile a day keeps the doctor away.
You are welcome to comment on a posting or share some of your own experiences (today or back in the day).
© 2008-2022 Boomers Life
Updated October 5, 2022
Early Rock in the 1950s
Gotta be rock and roll music,
if you wanna dance with me
50 Top Hits of
rock and roll
See the videos
This was a time of great big convertibles cruising around town with the top down and the rock-and-roll cranked up high. Guys wore Levi's and T-shirts, sometimes with a pack of cigarettes rolled up in one of the sleeves. A black leather jacket was the cover of choice, and the popular hair style was the DA (for duck's rear end) where a guy's somewhat-long hair was combed back on both sides of his head so that from the back it looked like a duck's whatever. I kid you not. Think Fonzie on the TV show Happy Days. Elvis was the patron saint of the day, and our older brothers emulated all that. Girls were perky in their mid-thigh skirts, love-charm jewelry and hair pulled back into a pony tail (they had much more polite names for their styles than the guys) or their hair was puffed out a bit and and teased into roundish shapes like Jackie Kennedy would wear. Their models were innocent girls like Sandra Dee or bad girls like Marilyn Monroe. All of this was captured in the much-later movie Grease with John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.
They were the generation before us. At the time, we were too young to go out and get into trouble like they could, but we could sit at home, listen to the music, and imagine it. In the 1960s, this was still familiar music to young kids, though we would eventually grow up with our own sounds. Those were the early days of rock and roll.
Quote source: Boomerguy boomerslife.org
Click the songs below to play videos.... Hits
1. Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
2. Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley
3. Rock Around the Clock - Bill Haley & His Comets
4. Tutti-Frutti - Little Richard
5. Whole Lot of Shakin' Going On - Jerry Lee Lewis
6. What'd I Say - Ray Charles
7. Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran
8. Hound Dog - Elvis Presley
9. Long Tall Sally - Little Richard
10. That'll Be the Day - Buddy Holly & the Crickets
11. Maybellene - Chuck Berry
12. Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
13. Shake, Rattle and Roll - Joe Turner
14. Blue Suede Shoes - Carl Perkins
15. Don't Be Cruel - Elvis Presley
16. Bye Bye Love - Everly Brothers
17. Great Balls of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis
18. Earth Angel - Penguins
19. Why Do Fools Fall in Love - Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers
20. Good Golly Miss Molly - Little Richard
21. Be-Bop-a-Lula - Gene Vincent & the Bluecaps
22. School Day - Chuck Berry
23. Rock and Roll Music - Chuck Berry
24. Peggy Sue - Buddy Holly
25. Lawdy Miss Clawdy - Lloyd Price
26. Lucile - Little Richard
27. Roll Over Beethoven - Chuck Berry
28. In the Still of the Nite - Five Satins
29. I Only Have Eyes for You - Flamingos
30. For Your Precious Love - Jerry Butler & the Famous Flames
31. Blueberry Hill - Fats Domino
32. Please, Please, Please - James Brown & the Famour Flames
33. Sh-Boom - Chords
34. Money Honey - Drifters featuring Clyde McPhatter
35. I Walk the Line - Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two
36. Fever - Little Willie John
37. The Great Pretender - Platters
38. Ain't That a Shame - Fats Domino
39. That's All Right - Elvis Presley with Scotty and Bill
40. Your Cheatin' Heart - Hank Williams
41. Sweet Little Sixteen - Chuck Berry
42. Little Susie - Everly Brothers
43. Come Go with Me - Del Vikings
44. Let the Good TImes Roll - Shirley & Lee
45. Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley
46. Rip It Up - Little Richard
47. Rocking Pneumonia & the Boogie Woogie Flu - Huey
48. Yakety Yak - Coasters
49. All Shook Up - Elvis Presley
50. You Send Me - Sam Cooke
Should we include this...?
51. Only You - The Platters
52. Summertime, Summertime - The Jamies
Report any broken
links to Boomerguy
Boomers Love to Travel
Europe & the Holy Land
Looking for some new places to inspire your wander-lust? How about checking out the romantic castles of the Knights Templar in England, France, Spain, Israel and many other countries? See the new book Origin of the Templars for some intriguing ideas, then pack your bags and find some new adventures.
See Origin of the Templars (paperback $5.95.....ebook $.99)
1950s rock and roll,
the best songs and
greatest music hits
1950s Rock and Roll
1950s Rock and Roll
Thank you for posting this list! Made my day, and my playlist a lot better. Johnny B. Goode rocks!
-- Shelley S, Monterey, CA
Thank you for making me smile today! I am a Social Studies teacher and was preparing lesson plans when I came across your site! The music links are great and I will be using them with my students. As a Boomer (1963), I have to admit that I loved living during those times. I look back now at all I managed to absorb from our culture, even as one so young. What an amazing time in history too! Thanks again! I really enjoyed it!
-- Sandy S, Big Rapids, MI
Comment on this article by clicking here
to send an email to Boomerguy.
More greatest hits, from the
Our purpose is to help rebuild the Boomer community, and our justifiable pride in it, as well as to enjoy a better life for ourselves and those important to us. May all the best be yours.
music, people and issues of interest to Boomers
Photographs and artwork are original on this site, or permission was obtained for images clearly copyrighted. Other images such as record albums are understood to be in the public domain for fair use. If for any reason an image has been shown for which you are the photographer/artist and were not consulted, please let us know so that proper permission can be obtained or the image deleted. -